Welcome 9th Graders!
Tips for Freshmen
- Begin with the end in mind! Meet with your school counselor and discuss careers, professions, classes, or activities that interest you.
- Visit the website VA Education Wizard (www.vawizard.org) and take Career Assessments. Your school counselor can help you with this or work with you to find additional career assessments!
- Join service organizations in high school and in your community that may expose you to new interests and possible careers.
- Look for opportunities to work, volunteer, or shadow for people who are professionals in careers that interest you.
- Look for enriching summer programs that you can participate in during the summer. Throughout the year, we will be posting some opportunities on our Summer Programs page (see menu on left). But you can always do a Google search as well! There are thousands of programs across the country!
- Getting into college isn't just about your grade point average or test scores. Check out the GPA Game!
- Pay attention to the video announcements and the scrolling announcements to stay informed as to what's going on at Deep Run.
- Keep your social media clean! There have been increasing concerns about how students' social media image could be affecting their college and employment prospects. Check out the considerations and tips here and here to be more social media savvy!
- If you start to feel overwhelmed, talk to someone! Tell your parents, counselor, or teachers. Don't wait until it's too late!
- And as always, GOOOOOO WILDCATS!