Henrico Schools Teacher Scholars’ program is a creative, homegrown way to address teacher shortages in content areas where there aren’t enough qualified applicants - and to find the next generation of great teachers right here in Henrico County. But hurry, the deadline to apply is March 12.
Full details: http://henricoschools.us/teacherscholars/
Click Read More for more information about eligibility and application requirements!
How it works:
- Interested students complete an application, and include a resume and the name and contact information of two references. Applications are due March 12 and can be found at http://henricoschools.us/pdf/Schools/TeacherScholarApplication.pdf.
- A student essay is also required, using the prompt, “I want to become a teacher because …”
- Applicants are interviewed by a panel and teach a short lesson on an approved subject of their choice.
- A committee reviews the applications and selects 15 graduating Teacher Scholars.
To apply, you must:
- Be a senior graduating this year from a Henrico County high school.
- Be a U.S. citizen or eligible for employment in the U.S.
- Agree to enroll in and complete 1) a teacher education program at an accredited college or university leading to teacher certification by the Virginia Department of Education in one of the identified shortage areas, OR 2) an undergraduate degree in one of the content-focus areas.
Upon graduation from college, you must:
- Be an approved participant in Henrico Schools’ Teacher Scholars’ program.
- Receive a positive reference based on your student teaching experiences.
- Receive a positive reference from your college student advisor.
- Be flexible about your placement within Henrico County Schools, so that we can best meet the needs of our students.
Remember, the deadline to apply is March 12.
Henrico Schools Teacher Scholars’ program is a no-risk opportunity. We realize that plans change and life can take you in other directions. If during your collegiate journey you find that you are no longer interested in participating in the HCPS Teacher Scholars’ program, just let us know.
For questions, contact the School Counseling office.